martes, mayo 27

I don't know off the top of my head when the first day of summer officially is, but that doesn't matter, because I know that today was the first day of summer in Boston. It was warm, but slightly muggy outside in the morning and then got warmer and sunnier around noontime. But that wasn't the sign of summer. I knew it was summer when in the afternoon, I was walking back from lab and felt huge raindrops start to slowly fall on me and increase in intensity and frequency as I got closer to the dorm. And the whole time, the smell in the air was perfect - it was a raw, beautiful smell of green - the smell of wet crayons, but not as if the entire box was wet - just as if it was only the various shades of green crayon in the Crayola 100 crayon box got wet and released their scent. The air was slightly heavy but not too heavy - just enough so that when the crisp rain fell on my skin, it made the perfect contrast. And then later, when I actually got inside the dorm and looked out the window, it was pouring, but with the sun still peeking out from behind the clouds. Basically, it was perfect, and I knew summer was here.