jueves, julio 5

I guess a lot of you have heard about this by now, but there was a landslide yesterday in Mexico, just about two hours outside of Mexico City. Apparently, it was because of all the rain here in the last week that caused the mountainside to collapse, but whatever it was, it buried a bus full of people under 100 tons of earth and rock. I don’t even know what to say. And even worse, the bus was mostly full of people from a poor town outside of Mexico. It just doesn’t make sense. Their lives are already hard enough as it is, why did this have to happen? There were KIDS on the bus too.

It could have happened to any of us. I saw the picture of where the landslide took place, and it looks eerily similar to many of the mountain passes we’ve gone through when we’ve taken a bus to places outside of Mexico City on the weekends. And yesterday we were sitting around celebrating 4th of July. And I was sitting around complaining about how Crespo might have to miss the rest of the Copa America tournament.

Sickening, ain’t it. How we’re all so preoccupied with our own lives that we neglect to take into account how much worse it could possibly be. It’s all so irrelevant in the big scope of things. I mean, we’re talking about people’s freaking LIVES. I don’t know anything more precious in the world than that. You can buy a Wii for a couple hundred dollars, and iPhone for a couple hundred more, and if you got a couple million dollars, you can even buy your own island. But you can’t buy a person’s life. And you certainly can’t buy many people’s lives.

Holy shit, there were kids on that bus….

And no, I don’t know why I’m getting so emotional over this. It’s kinda ridiculous and I don’t know. I just don’t know.